Skip to main content

NaNoWriMo starts on Saturday

And I'm going to do it again. :-)

Last year I went with the "give yourself permission to write total crap" theory of circumventing the internal editor. It worked like a dream until I got to 20K words (the month long goal is 50K), looked at the story I had and thought, "Hey, this isn't half bad."

I didn't write another word.

This time I have a plan and most of a novel length plot, including the end. I expect it to be a first draft, but decent, and intend to finish and *market* this book. Sure, it will be my first ever time getting to the end of even a first draft of a novel, but that's what the participation in NaNo is about.

The average novel in science fiction is generally between 80 and 100K words, so 50K isn't very long, really. If I have to I'll write summaries of what happens with the intent of going back and fleshing it out later.

I'm really excited about this story. I'm shooting for a planet hopping shoot'em-up, with super spy-assassins and cybernetic (sort of) police investigators (sort of), with just a slight noir feel to it. Just a little bit Blade Runner. It even ended up having android (sort of) sex dolls. It's got evil scientists splattered on walls, a semi-sane telepath, monogamy inducing gene-splices, and puppies.

Woo HOoo!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Suzanne Brockman lost me.

I just finished reading the latest paperback from Suzanne Brockmann. _Dark of Night_. I'm disappointed and that's a sad thing because I've absolutely loved her series of romances about SEAL team 16 and the Troubleshooters. Aparently I'm not alone. My complaint isn't the same as most of the others... I'm great with Sophia and Dave. I even am okay with Tracey being people smart. She and Decker did seem to come out of left field. I thought Decker was great even if I thought his overwhelming conflict was pretty lame. What I didn't care for was the politics. I read for escapism, for studly dangerous men acting like men, for sex, and adventure with guns, where our military are the good guys and the SEALs are supermen and military contractor's are heroes, too. (I wonder if Ms. Brockmann realizes that the Troubleshooters ARE Blackwater?) I do not read sexy action adventure to be presented with a *cause*. It's small things but they don...

Tyranny.gov vs Tyranny.com

Compulsion is Compulsion, no matter who does it.  This is Brilliant Theft is Theft, no matter who does it. Freedom of Association has no room in it for *private* action   that takes that away Freedom of Association. If I have a business and have voluntary associations such that I choose to serve some people and to not serve others, that might make me a jerk and it might lose me business, it might make me smart and it might gain me business, but it's got to be my choice.  If I would normally serve the current disliked minority in my shop except for the fact that if I'm SEEN to serve them by the wrong people I'll have a private campaign against me as those people do everything possible to ruin me by preventing me from doing business physically or by attacking my customers or suppliers, then I am NOT free to make those choices. Does it really make a difference to losing my CHOICE to voluntarily associate if there's a law that says I may not serve "those people" o...

The Shooter

I just watched the DVD. When I saw trailers for this I wanted to see it. It's the sort of movie that I usually enjoy. It wasn't bad. In fact it was pretty good in some ways and the annoying bits weren't too hard to ignore. The end was sort of bad. Not the choices that I'd make. It took conspiracy a bit too far, away from conspiracy to "this is the way the world works." It *should* have been enough to expose the Senator and his fellows. Where was the press in this? The idea wasn't too bad. The speech his spotter's widow gave about her dead husband's choices was good. (Though why she'd go back to using her maiden name I can't imagine.) Among all those willing to look the other way were several people who were... righteous. But overall it wasn't a "conspiracy" movie. There wasn't a "conspiracy" there was only finding out the "truth" of reality. In this world president Bush re...