Friday, May 27, 2011

At least it was a library book

I have a pet peeve.

This pet peeve is "Historical" romances with "modern" women who are too stupid to live.

Arabella Blydon in Julia Quinn's novel _Dancing at Midnight_ is truly too stupid to live. It's an older book and I've read a number of romances by Quinn that I enjoyed but this is just painful. Utterly painful.

It's a rather common thing, gives me a rash, but Quinn is certainly not alone. A "strong" woman is not an idiot. A "strong" woman trusts her man to be competent.

Please repeat these two sentences after me all you romance writers! A "strong" woman is not an idiot. A "strong" woman trusts her man to be competent.

Now tattoo it on your forehead.

Thank you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Trooper York said...

"Now tattoo that on your forehead."

Hey you stole the plot from "The Hangover 2"

3:21 PM  
Blogger Synova said...

LOL!

I'm told I should see that.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Big Mike said...

Yes. One of my own pet peeves as well. Woman is intelligent, successful (sometimes in a challenging career) and then does unbelievably stupid things.

The romance writers need to follow Ron Howard's advice -- he says he made Conan a bit stupid because no intelligent person would get into the situations that Conan would get into.

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home