Skip to main content

So what IS the answer?

There's something about the oldest residential parts of town with their Victorian and Queen Anne homes that lends itself to "No War" lawn signs. I was walking in one of those beautiful neighborhoods on Monday and the "War is Not the Answer" sign caught my attention. The other signs were more specific, such as the one that had been altered from "No War in Iraq" to "No War in Iran."

The general "Truism" (and I will put that in scare quotes) of "War is Not the Answer" is something we see a lot but Monday it just struck me like a mallet to the head, So what IS the Answer? What does this person who lives in this pretty house think is the Answer?

What does this person who lives in this pretty house think is the Question?

I really do wonder.

Someone who thinks that war in Iran would not be the answer to the situation in Iran probably needs to suggest what should be done *instead* and the answer really could be "nothing." But for a general rule? As a "truism?"

Denial is not the Answer either.

There is an extent to which people create their own reality. I met a "mountain man" the other day who definitely had created his own reality. In his reality he couldn't go to a doctor's appointment in Albuquerque without being armed because of the violence in town. He lived out in the mountains with his guns, raising his own food animals and chiles, and marrying gay couples with his divinity license. I think that other people do the same but they live in little Queen Anne cottages on green shaded streets (this neighborhood of Albuquerque looked identical to the older residential areas of Fargo, North Dakota... houses, gardens, No-War signs,..) and they've created their own world where War really isn't the answer.

It's just that the rest of us don't live there.

There were a couple houses for sale. I suppose I could move. ;-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Suzanne Brockman lost me.

I just finished reading the latest paperback from Suzanne Brockmann. _Dark of Night_. I'm disappointed and that's a sad thing because I've absolutely loved her series of romances about SEAL team 16 and the Troubleshooters. Aparently I'm not alone. My complaint isn't the same as most of the others... I'm great with Sophia and Dave. I even am okay with Tracey being people smart. She and Decker did seem to come out of left field. I thought Decker was great even if I thought his overwhelming conflict was pretty lame. What I didn't care for was the politics. I read for escapism, for studly dangerous men acting like men, for sex, and adventure with guns, where our military are the good guys and the SEALs are supermen and military contractor's are heroes, too. (I wonder if Ms. Brockmann realizes that the Troubleshooters ARE Blackwater?) I do not read sexy action adventure to be presented with a *cause*. It's small things but they don...

Tyranny.gov vs Tyranny.com

Compulsion is Compulsion, no matter who does it.  This is Brilliant Theft is Theft, no matter who does it. Freedom of Association has no room in it for *private* action   that takes that away Freedom of Association. If I have a business and have voluntary associations such that I choose to serve some people and to not serve others, that might make me a jerk and it might lose me business, it might make me smart and it might gain me business, but it's got to be my choice.  If I would normally serve the current disliked minority in my shop except for the fact that if I'm SEEN to serve them by the wrong people I'll have a private campaign against me as those people do everything possible to ruin me by preventing me from doing business physically or by attacking my customers or suppliers, then I am NOT free to make those choices. Does it really make a difference to losing my CHOICE to voluntarily associate if there's a law that says I may not serve "those people" o...

The Shooter

I just watched the DVD. When I saw trailers for this I wanted to see it. It's the sort of movie that I usually enjoy. It wasn't bad. In fact it was pretty good in some ways and the annoying bits weren't too hard to ignore. The end was sort of bad. Not the choices that I'd make. It took conspiracy a bit too far, away from conspiracy to "this is the way the world works." It *should* have been enough to expose the Senator and his fellows. Where was the press in this? The idea wasn't too bad. The speech his spotter's widow gave about her dead husband's choices was good. (Though why she'd go back to using her maiden name I can't imagine.) Among all those willing to look the other way were several people who were... righteous. But overall it wasn't a "conspiracy" movie. There wasn't a "conspiracy" there was only finding out the "truth" of reality. In this world president Bush re...