Skip to main content

Book Review: Agnes and the Hitman

Fun book by Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer.

The alligator from _Don't Look Down_ made a guest appearance.

I started reading it too late though. Mistake. I think I'd have enjoyed it more if I'd saved it for tomorrow when I didn't have to work.

How to characterize it... funny, violent, and sexy. It's hard to get specific without getting specific, if you know what I mean. Romances often have a Dark Moment when it seems the two parties will never get together. I shouldn't even say "often"... it's nearly a rule. This book doesn't have that. The Dark Moment is if the different characters will live or not. If they live, they'll be with each other. I don't think there is a single well-adjusted person in this book... well, maybe the young couple who are getting married, a fresh start and their parents raising them without the baggage that everyone else is dealing with... but everyone else is pretty much nuts.

But yeah, it's got hit men and the mob and mysterious vendettas and Agnes's own propensity for violence and the very practical attitude of her mob-princess best friend, "Agnes, stop fighting your nature. You're a killer. Accept that and you'll be a lot happier." "I've never killed anybody," Agnes protested, and then stopped, realizing that might have sounded holier than thou, considering the people she was hanging out with. "And with the grace of God you never will," Lisa Livia said. "The important thing is, we know we can if we have to."

Some of the surprises I saw coming a mile off. Some of them I didn't see coming at all. Some of them I only twigged to at 100 yards.

I think I may have missed a boat blowing up at some point, but it was nearly 4am when I finished reading and the various boats blowing up were toward the end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Suzanne Brockman lost me.

I just finished reading the latest paperback from Suzanne Brockmann. _Dark of Night_. I'm disappointed and that's a sad thing because I've absolutely loved her series of romances about SEAL team 16 and the Troubleshooters. Aparently I'm not alone. My complaint isn't the same as most of the others... I'm great with Sophia and Dave. I even am okay with Tracey being people smart. She and Decker did seem to come out of left field. I thought Decker was great even if I thought his overwhelming conflict was pretty lame. What I didn't care for was the politics. I read for escapism, for studly dangerous men acting like men, for sex, and adventure with guns, where our military are the good guys and the SEALs are supermen and military contractor's are heroes, too. (I wonder if Ms. Brockmann realizes that the Troubleshooters ARE Blackwater?) I do not read sexy action adventure to be presented with a *cause*. It's small things but they don...

Tyranny.gov vs Tyranny.com

Compulsion is Compulsion, no matter who does it.  This is Brilliant Theft is Theft, no matter who does it. Freedom of Association has no room in it for *private* action   that takes that away Freedom of Association. If I have a business and have voluntary associations such that I choose to serve some people and to not serve others, that might make me a jerk and it might lose me business, it might make me smart and it might gain me business, but it's got to be my choice.  If I would normally serve the current disliked minority in my shop except for the fact that if I'm SEEN to serve them by the wrong people I'll have a private campaign against me as those people do everything possible to ruin me by preventing me from doing business physically or by attacking my customers or suppliers, then I am NOT free to make those choices. Does it really make a difference to losing my CHOICE to voluntarily associate if there's a law that says I may not serve "those people" o...

The Shooter

I just watched the DVD. When I saw trailers for this I wanted to see it. It's the sort of movie that I usually enjoy. It wasn't bad. In fact it was pretty good in some ways and the annoying bits weren't too hard to ignore. The end was sort of bad. Not the choices that I'd make. It took conspiracy a bit too far, away from conspiracy to "this is the way the world works." It *should* have been enough to expose the Senator and his fellows. Where was the press in this? The idea wasn't too bad. The speech his spotter's widow gave about her dead husband's choices was good. (Though why she'd go back to using her maiden name I can't imagine.) Among all those willing to look the other way were several people who were... righteous. But overall it wasn't a "conspiracy" movie. There wasn't a "conspiracy" there was only finding out the "truth" of reality. In this world president Bush re...