Why is "red meat" an insult?
I just finished reading the latest paperback from Suzanne Brockmann. _Dark of Night_. I'm disappointed and that's a sad thing because I've absolutely loved her series of romances about SEAL team 16 and the Troubleshooters. Aparently I'm not alone. My complaint isn't the same as most of the others... I'm great with Sophia and Dave. I even am okay with Tracey being people smart. She and Decker did seem to come out of left field. I thought Decker was great even if I thought his overwhelming conflict was pretty lame. What I didn't care for was the politics. I read for escapism, for studly dangerous men acting like men, for sex, and adventure with guns, where our military are the good guys and the SEALs are supermen and military contractor's are heroes, too. (I wonder if Ms. Brockmann realizes that the Troubleshooters ARE Blackwater?) I do not read sexy action adventure to be presented with a *cause*. It's small things but they don...
Comments
As far as I can tell, when folks on the net talk about red meat, they are refering to feeding the emotions and desires of the people, generally in a connotatively negative fashion. Meaning feeding the negative desires of a people, such as hate or anger or some such.
Hate typically requires energy to sustain itself, and proteins is a good analogy for the process. "red" can also connotate a sense of rawness and pure nature, law of the jungle going on.